Saturday, June 05, 2010

Review #19: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver
Release Date: March 2, 2010
Genre: Young Adult/Fiction
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 470 (Hardcover)
Source: Author
What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.
I'm so impressed by how Lauren Oliver was able to make me feel all types of emotions -- to make me change my mind over and over again. The plot of Before I Fall catched my attention since I first heard of it. Thank God I wasn't wrong I was going to love it, Thank God I didn't get disappointed.

Sam is definitely not that kind of protagonist you like at first. Actually, I must say she was hateable and at some points I wondered
what kind of person was she or how could she do that. Fortunately, she grew up on me -- a lot. She changes in a powerful way; she tries to save herself by helping people, trying to make them better, happier.

Like I said when I finished this,
I can't even explain how I feel in the end. I don't know what to think... Or to say. Maybe I have saved the rare tears I had so I could finally cry through the epilogue. It was so, so, so meaningful! The whole book was. It was super emotionally touching.

Lauren's writing felt so incredibly real that I can say I could even feel what the characters felt. She also knew how to wrap it up well and so I was fulfilled by a stand-alone, like a series wasn't even necessary. It was complete, perfect -- there was nothing left. Really it was her debut novel? I can't even imagine how awesome the others will be, so.

And how can't I finish this book and not want more from Lauren? Her second book, Delirium, is coming up on February 1, 2011, and I need this. Unfortunatelly, I didn't go to BEA because of the distance so I could not get an ARC nor meet Lauren. But, Gosh!, I will fight for copy of this and to meet her. I wonder if I can wait until next year!? It feels so far away, the waiting so impossible for me to stand.

Also, I'm so sorry I have taken such a long time to read it (Almost a month!). Not because it's not amazingly engaging... It actually is. If I could, I wouldn't sleep only to read it at the entire night, too. I just really couldn't, though.

Well, if you haven't read Before I Fall, you need to. It might change the way you act around people... Hope it does for better in your life. Also, Lauren's
writing will happen to be addictive and you won't stop wanting to read more from her.
[Goodreads] [Amazon] [Barnes&Noble] [Borders] [Cultura]*
*Finalize a compra através desse link e ganhe 10% de desconto.

15 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I agree that it's really impressive that this is her debut, it was done so well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I'm so glad you liked it! I loved this one too! Now I'm dying to read her next book. I signed up for a book tour of it, but I doubt I'll get chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if I don't like stories about normal people in a regular world, I mean no superpower, no vampires, no faeries, etc, will I still like this one?! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to hear you liked it. I absolutely loved Before I Fall, it's definitely my favorite read so far. I also desperately need Delirium, right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited about this book. I just bought it on Friday and I while I have several books going (several), I am so drawn to dive into this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too just loved this book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been dying to read this book for quite some time now. I've heard so many great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have yet to read this book but it's on my shelf so i'm hoping to get to it sometime this summer. thanks for dropping by our blog. have a wonderful reading week this week and thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you liked this!! I can't wait to dig in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. O00hh awesome review. I'm so glad you loved it as well. I fell in love with it, and was left in awe and with mixed emotions when I finished it. Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi raila! nice review! all of the books you've read looks all good to read..GOD bless!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! Thanks God that you liked! I was just waiting to see your opinion, and buy the book! Now I can buy, right? :D
    Kisses :*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been reading a lot of rave reviews for this one. I just might have to get it!
    I've got an award for you btw:
    http://satoya-writes.blogspot.com/2010/05/blog-awards-baby.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg! I want to read Before I Fall sooo badly!
    Sounds amazing, and I loved your review! *-* =D
    {oi, eu moro no Brasil hahahaha todo mundo falando desse livro, e eu fiquei com mais vontade de ler dps da sua resenha =) }
    Kisses =*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with everything you said!

    ReplyDelete

The Book Depository
Related Posts with Thumbnails