Friday, January 15, 2010

Review #6: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Title: Hush, Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Release Date: October 13, 2009
Reading level: Young Adult
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Pages: 400 (Hardcover)
★★★★★
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.

With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.
I really don't remember the first time I heard about 'Hush, Hush', but remember the first time I saw this book in the bookstore and fell in love with the hardcover copy. Stunning. It was a few days before I buy my own copy, in early November. When it arrived I was flying like guardian angels. I had never read about fallen angels, but I had 'seen' fallen angels in Supernatural, the tv show, which is awesome - as well as Castiel, the main fallen angel. Handsome. I didn't have any expectations. I only opened and read it. I read it in almost four days, if I'm not so wrong. Normal to me. And the story surprised me INDEED.

I had never ever seen a character like Patch. Completely... No words. Seriously. I must say he's sexy, like no other character ever created! Very well developed. Both his speeches and his actions are amazingly developed. He always says something we don't anticipate.

About Nora... I don't have a lot to say about her. Only that, to me, she's much diferent from the others females protagonists I've been reading. I mean, she's... oddly singular. But she's good. Am I wrong about writing that? I still don't have a entirely opinion about her, neither about Vee.

The whole story is well-written. Fitzpatrick's ideas are fantastic. They make us think lots of things, lots of possibilities... Also, make us suspect many characters. And, in the end, you might not be right about everything. There's action in the right measure; humor in the right measure; romance and sexy scenes in the right, right measure. In this book, the guy is not already in love with the girl. He falls in love with her in the course of the story... He goes realizing this feeling while all the things happen. I man, both of them. This story sounded so original! In my favorites list since I finished with it.

A lot of people keep asking me to recommend a book and I keep saying that they should read Hush, Hush. It's a must-read. Unfortunately, not all of these people can read in English. But, fortunately, a Brazilian publisher is going to publish Hush, Hush. Awesome! I'm glad they're doing this.

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I didn't like Hush Hush quite as much, though I thought it was good and the cover AMAZING. I did like Patch, though Nora and Vee got on my nerves sometimes. I will be watching out for the sequel though, and I hope your friends enjoy Hush Hush too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nossa, eu amei Hush Hush. Acho que gostei mais de Hush Hush que Fallen! Eu vi sobre HH a primeira vez na comu de VA, e fiquei LOOOOUCA esperando o lançamento depois que li os 2 primeiros caps.
    Eu comprei o meu na semana seguinte ao lançamento. Li em 4 dias também, no máximo.
    Você falou uma coisa certa: a gente tem suspeitas aqui e ali, advinha algumas coisas mas nunca tudo. Isso que gostei mais. Louca por Crescendo!
    :*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Raíla, dá uma olhada no meu blog. Eu queria que alguém fotografasse a estante pq agora quero uma vez por mês, pelo menos, mostrar a estante de alguém. Se vc quiser, fala comigo. É só vc tirar fotos da sua estante, listar os livros que tem e dizer seu preferido e sua última compra. Aí é bom também pra divulgar o blog :D Se vc quiser é só falar :*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review :o) I loved Patch but wasn't so sure about Nora & Vee really got on my nerves at times but overall I enjoyed the book & am looking forward to the sequel. Hope you don't mind but I've added a link to this post on my review http://bookreviewsbysarah.blogspot.com/2010/01/hush-hush-becca-fitzpatrick.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it! I really liked the book, but mostly for the story. I didn't really like Patch, he was a great developed character though. Vee I couldn't stand, I wouldn't mind if she just gets killed off in the next book...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So agree with your review...and yes, I loved that cover.

    Also...

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog this week. I have something for you here.

    ReplyDelete

The Book Depository
Related Posts with Thumbnails