Thursday, April 01, 2010

Review #14: The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen

Title: The Apprentice
Author: Tess Gerritsen
Release Date: July 29, 2003
Genre: Medical Thriller
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Pages: 384 (Mass Market Paperback)
Source: Bought
It is a boiling hot Boston summer. Adding to the city’s woes is a series of shocking crimes, in which wealthy men are made to watch while their wives are brutalized. A sadistic demand that ends in abduction and death. The pattern suggests one man; serial killer Warren Hoyt, recently removed from the city’s streets. Police can only assume an acolyte is at large, a maniac basing his attacks on the twisted medical techniques of the madman he so admires. At least that’s what Detective Jane Rizzoli thinks. Forced again to confront the killer who scarred her - literally and figuratively - she is determined to finally end Hoyt’s awful influence . . . even if it means receiving more resistance from her all-male homicide squad. Filled with superbly created characters—and the medical and police procedural details that are her trademark — The Apprentice is Tess Gerritsen at her brilliant best. Set in a stunning world where evil is easy to learn and hard to end, this is a thriller by a master who could teach other authors a thing or two.
MY THOUGHTS

When I finished reading The Surgeon, I was way too excited to put my hands in the next book of this series and read it. Unfortunatelly, I only could do it months later, but I did it well. I read The Apprentice in one day and a half. This rarely happens! I have seen that it's only a sugestion for you to read the series in order. I don't think so, though. I believe I wouldn't have understood it well if I haven't read The Surgeon first.

This second one is basically a sequel for The Surgeon. The "new" criminal man has some of The Surgeon's characteristics. So, Jane Rizzoli gets the case and becomes the main protagonist of the story, which happens during all the series I guess, along with Maura Isles.

All the events related to the investigation come to the surface around Rizzoli and, after reading this wonderful book, I have no doubt about my admiration for her, since I didn't like her so much when I read the first book. There's also a romance in the story, which became it more attractive to people who also like it. I got even more anxious to know what came next! I was fighting with myself not to sleep because I needed to read it until the end. Now, I'm definitely looking forward to read, in order, The Sinner (#3), which I technically got for birthday but haven't received yet.

I still have to say that I didn't like the ending so much. It was really unexpected, but it also was fast, with no meaning emotion. I wish it had been better. It's the only thing I complain about, because the rest was like I always say: the Tess Gerritsen's story is amazingly told and wonderfully well-written. It kept me up until 3 in the morning!

Overall: ★★★★★

Links: [Amazon] [Borders] [Barnes and Noble]

5 comments:

  1. HI! tess is one of my favorite author! ive read almost all her books..wait.. yep i did read them all! my favorite is the surgeon. raila try reading Bloodstream, it's got a teenage theme into it. tess also wrote bloodstream and its fantastic! love the appprentice too!Did you know that tnt will be showing isles and rizzoli this summer!? I was on the fritz when i learned this, ive been following tess's blog quite sometime now to get infos regarding the series. im so happy for tess.its a dream come true for an author to see your characters and story brought to life! i hope i can hear from you since we're both book lovers. well.. i guess you're busy all the time! god bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Gerritsen books, read them all! I thought this one was a good one too. I read Ruperto's comment and that will be exciting to see a show with Isles & Rizzoli! Wonder who will play Rizzoli?
    Have you read any of Patricia Cornwell books?
    Lifetime is doing a movie of her book At Risk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi natalie! RIZZOLI & ISLES, starring Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander, is based on Tess Gerritsen’s popular mystery novels. im both familiar with these two actresses and i hope they can give justice to the characters of jane and maura.. feel free to visit my blog! http://pertz0429.blogspot.com im practically new to blogging and i literally beg raila to follow my blog. you're blog is really impressive. i wish i know how to add widget like the ones i saw on your blog. anyways, your son is so cute!god bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruperto! Thanks for passing by. I don't think Bloodstream has been translated and published in Portuguese yet, but I will look for this one. I still have the next 6 books from Rizzoli & Isles series to read, so it's going to take me a long time, since I'm not so fast at reading. I also don't think the TV series will released so soon here. And, yes, I know that. Awesome, isn't it? :-) I will try to watch it on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Natalie! I have never actually read any of Patricia Cornwell books, but I have heard a lot about them. I will look for it :) Thanks for the suggestion! I am also excited to watch Rizzoli & Isles series... I don't know what to expect, though. :) Thanks for passing by!

    ReplyDelete

The Book Depository
Related Posts with Thumbnails