Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Review #3: Evermore (The Immortals #1) by Alyson Nöel


Title: Evermore
Author: Alyson Nöel
Release Date: February 3, 2009
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 320 (Paperback)
Other Titles by Author: Blue Moon, Shadowland, Cruel Summer, Kiss & Blog, Laguna Cove, Saving Zoe, Faking 19, Art Geeks and Prom Queens, Fly Me to the Moon.

Synopsis from the book: Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever can see auras, hear people’s thoughts, and know a person’s life story by touch. Going out of her way to shield herself from human contact to suppress her abilities has branded her as a freak at her new high school — but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste... Damen is able to make things appear and disappear, he always seems to know what she’s thinking — and he’s the only one who can silence the noise and the random energy in her head.

I'm kind of be organized this time. I hope to improve from this review to the next then to the next, and so on. Everytime I read someone else's review I learn things and it's great for me who is in the beginning I'd say.

I bought this book when it came out here translated to Portuguese and I didn't know what to expect. I heard lots of people talk about this series. I had nothing to read and then I chose this one.

What can I say about Evermore?

Nöel's Writing: It IS good, pretty good, but I really don't appreciate the present tense she uses to write. I don't like it. It sounds awful for me sometimes.

Characters: Ever did it for me. No. She didn't. Ok. I don't have a complete opinion about her in this book. Actually, she's not a bad nor a good character. I mean, a character that I'd love. I don't know if I like her or not. She's brave, though like a dumb sometimes. Damen I admit I fell in love with him while reading, and love the tulip thing he does. It's cute. So adorable.. But it's the only thing I can say about him in this book. We gotta read the next book to learn more about him. Riley! Oh, she's the prettiest! I'm so glad that Alyson's writing a book from her point-of-view. I love her relationship with Ever as well. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it breaks hearts. Ever's friends? Annoying and almost invisible. I can't see a friendship there. I really can't. For me, they're totally out of her that I'd say there's no friendship. Like Ever's always alone. Haven and Miles are just weird people around. Hate them.

The Ending: Nothing wonderfully unexpected. Nothing that left me wanting excitingly for Blue Moon, though I wanted to read the next one.

It's not a book that I'd immediately recommend because it doesn't do it for everybody. And now I have nothing more to say... I mean, there's nothing that fabulous enough for me to remember and write.

Overall:
­

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read this yet, but I don't think I'd want to. I keep reading how it just gets worse as the series goes on. Great honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what you mean. I mean, personally, I'm glad I read it because there were definitely some enjoyable parts. But I wouldn't neccesarily recomend it to everyone. It wasn't FABULOUS or anything. But I did like the flower thing Damen did. But I didn't actually care too much for Damen. We didn't get to know him.
    Anyway, Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like the present-tense point of view in these books, either. Sometimes it works... but it doesn't here.

    ReplyDelete

The Book Depository
Related Posts with Thumbnails